Wednesday, April 26, 2006

April 25 2006 - The day of the Surgery - Meidal Meniscus

10:15 am review appointment with the Doctor.

He explains what he is looking for and how the repair will be done. While MRI's show a lot, the exact detail is hard to pin point.

From the review appointment, I move on to the Pre Admission at the Hospital. I arrive at 11:00 am, weighed, questioned, and meet with the Anesthesiologist; who has further questions and who outlines his role in the operation. He determines that I need no further x-rays, ewe's or lab work - what a relief.

From here I am walked to the Same Day Surgery area. It's approximately 11:45 am. Here, I put my gown on, an I.V. drip is started, and Im hooked up to the heart and oxygen monitor.

12:25 pm - Showtime - I am wheeled down to surgery where I am properly put to sleep.

1:25 pm - I am awaken by a little boy crying for his mother - I feel sorry for him, but realize he's very much ok - he's almost standing on the bed and moving about - He gets his wish and is wheeled out of the recovery room. I talk with the nurses about baseball and different things. I am wheeled out around 2:00 pm, back to the Same Day Surgery bay.

Here I meet my wife and some relatives drop in. We chat for awhile. My wife teels me the Doctor has removed 90% of the Meniscus.
3:00 pm I've been asked to use the restroom to make sure my bladder is awake and working. I say goodbye to my relatives and head for the restroom. Every thing works, I pull the help cord and the nurse comes to wheel me back to my room. The pharmacy delivers my pain medication and I'm dressing and out the door at 3:30 pm.

4:10 I am at home - I can walk by myself with no pain in my knee - The nurse instructed me to walk gingerly on the knee, while the Doc's order allows full weight bearing on the knee. So far the most pain I have had to endure is the initial IV in the Same Day Surgery room.

I prop my knee up and ice it for awhile and watch tv. I am amazed that I can walk with no restriction in my knee; before surgery the knee would not operate proper. - Keep in mind I am walking slowly.

I have not felt sick or dizzy at all. I have a baked potato and chicken noodle soup for supper around 5:30 pm; a bowl of cereal and an ice cream bar latter in the night. I have had no pain and can move around slow. We watched the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Pirates, and some of the Royals game before going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home